City-specific shopping thread

proseccoprincess

SkinnyGossip Royal
Recently Verified
Aug 20, 2018
paris/nyc
Thought it would be useful to have a thread for shopping recommendations in cities members are from/have visited, especially since everyone can provide recommendations for different styles, price points, types of stores, etc. even if they live in a city already mentioned.

I tend to buy 95% of my clothing secondhand or vintage (aside from underwear/anything else that can't really be bought secondhand, or occasionally stuff on final clearance sale. I do it for environmental reasons mostly, I feel like if something is on final clearance sale they won't be making more of it and I'm not contributing to the production of new clothing, idk. It also allows me to have a wardrobe of 80% leather and fur despite being a vegan lol.) My price range for clothing (tops, bottoms, jackets, shoes, handbags) is generally $100-500. Less for underwear and basic tank tops ofc, or stuff I don't really intend on wearing and just "need" (as mentioned in another thread, heels, bikinis, skinny jeans for digis and castings, which I buy as cheap as possible at a thrift store.) Occasionally more for a staple like a really good coat or occasional treats.

NYC:

- Untitled Vintage (LES), great for 90s/00s designer, minimalistic/gothic pieces
- Pilgrim (LES), lots of Ann Demeulemeester, CDG, Yamamoto, Chloe, Rick Owens, Isabel Marant from 90s-early 2010s
- Ending Soon (LES) and Vintage Store (LES), basically "___" for the last two
- Ritual Vintage (Nolita) for actual vintage i.e. 60s-90s, some of it is not really wearable today but if you need a pair of authentic disco bell bottoms that's your store
- Stella Dallas (both stores, Williamsburg) is two shops right next to each other, one sells proper vintage including pieces from the 1800s and tons of pre-1960s lingerie, sweaters, coats, as well as housewares (mostly carpets.) The older, more delicate items are definitely more of an investment and although I lust over them I can't justify buying a top from the 1890s for 500$+ knowing how delicate it is, but the wool sweaters/coats are definitely great for NYC winter. Next door they have their "6 ft single" shop, which also has a cheaper vintage section (50s-80s stuff mostly) and a more modern "thrift store" section with cheaper prices, lots of levis jeans, t shirts, etc. Lots to look through, it's like a 1-2 hour commitment unless you know exactly what you're looking for.
- About Glamour (Williamsburg), lots of CDG, Hysteric Glamour, Vivienne Westwood and japanese designers from 90s-00s plus art, household decor, etc.
- Seven wonders vintage (Williamsburg, LES) is a bit overpriced and has gone a bit downhill recently, but if you like the 70s vintage aesthetic it is well curated and I've found many things at their BK shops (they recently opened one in the LES as well.)
- Illisa's Vintage Lingerie on the UES is a dream for any 1900s-1960s lingerie aficionado but quite expensive (a bullet bra from the 30s cost me near $300)

LA:

You are blessed with weekly flea markets in LA, Los Feliz and Silver Lake are always good to waste a Saturday/Sunday at for vintage clothing, accessories, handmade jewelry, etc. The best monthly ones are definitely Topanga and Long Beach.

- Speaking of Topanga, I could spend (and have spent) entire days at Hidden Treasures, a vintage shop with a 60s/70s focus although I have seen more modern things there. Also visit Flower Power across the street.
- Long Beach Vintage Etc, mix of vintage vendors, posters, home decor, antiques, and more cool stuff. Worth the trip to Long Beach.
- Le Boudoir (Echo Park), specialty lingerie store selling luxury and up-and-coming brands
- Los Rodeos (Echo Park), right next door selling mostly 90s-00s designer and always has an amazing collection of shoes.
- Jet Rag (WeHo), huge store, inexpensive, huge selection of vintage and "vintage" lol. You can basically find anything here, and mostly for under $30. Their kids' section is also great, I wish I could fit into some of the pieces but alas I haven't gotten there yet :lol: If you are shorter than me and under BMI 16 you may have a chance though. I am told they have a $1 sale on Sunday mornings or something where like half the store is $1? (I'm never awake for that sadly)
- Recess (WeHo), more on the expensive side but I've found some insane designer consignment items here (Viv Westwood platforms- like the original 90s ones that Naomi tripped in, thank god they were too big for me)
- 925 (DTLA), I've only seen them at a flea market and never been to their showroom, but looks amazing (although more y2k/mcbling oriented, if that's your style)
- Dresscue (Studio City) is a consignment store, consistently has better options than the nearby Wasteland.
- Altar (Cypress Park), concept store that regularly hosts different vintage vendors, and coincidentally is right next to..
- Revival Vintage Furniture- not at all a clothing store but ridiculously cheap furniture shop that is open on weekends only. If you just moved to LA and need furniture I highly recommend following their IG and showing up with cash at 10AM sharp on Saturday morning.

Online only:

- Verr Seco, based in Ukraine (most of us cannot visit for obvious reasons but they sell through IG and their telegram channel)
- awww, online only but does pop-ups occasionally, I was recently at their PFW pop-up and found an amazing pair of Miu Miu heels
- A_Collection, not sure where they're based but they do regular online drops (90s-00s designer)
- SSENSE sale is nothing revolutionary but definitely shop there for underwear and workout clothes; where else are you going to find Fleur du Mal and Agent Provocateur for 10-20$?

Looking for recommendations in Paris, all I've found here is L'Obscur (Temple)

Side By Side
is my only Berlin rec since I haven't spent much time there, but please give me more if you have them :)

I haven't been to London in a while, will go again soon, but Portobello Road Market is always the best for vintage shopping. Ad Hominem is also on my list for 90s-00s designer.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Jizztastic
Reactions: 7 users